Select it. Do not select it. Choose it? Do not choose it?
Are you unable to identify the best out of Shopify or Magento? You are not alone in the fight between the two best online e-commerce platforms. Every businessman choosing an e-commerce platform has the same set of questions.
One requires coding and the other is off a shelf solution to set up an online shop. However, in both cases, there are pros and cons. Limitations to features and multi-hand capabilities accompany both platforms. We cannot make the decision for you to decide which one is THE best. However, we can tell you in easy words, all the capabilities and flaws you need to know to decide for yourself.
With the analogy of a self-driving and manual car, we can easily understand the differences between Magento and Shopify.
Shopify VS Magento
The Shopify platform manages backend processes such as coding, programming, and designing automatically. Even if you have no coding knowledge, you can build and set up your website. It does not, however, bend to your choice of customization. Alternatively, Magento allows you to customize your website and specify inputs. You may need coding background knowledge to play with it.
Let us see what advantages and disadvantages are there for Shopify first:
- Develop anything on Shopify and you can easily sell it on any platform like FB, Insta, Amazon, and you name any e-commerce site, etc.
- You can have access to user-friendly hundreds of mobile responsive themes free of charge and at a premium price.
- Many online applications support Shopify and its functionalities these days.
- You can easily use the Shopify payments feature for online pay-ups.
- The only platform that will enforce you to use its own fee and not match with any external one unless you use its own payment system.
- It will attract you to use so many apps (not even wanted sometimes) and you can get easily carried away to pay for unwanted apps associated with its features to enhance functionality.
On the other hand, all those who love coding and building their own features can enjoy working in Magento. Some ads and disadvantages are:
- It is a comprehensive forum. It has almost all the answers to your queries and much, much more.
- As long as you know how to do coding, you can design the most unique platform to shop ever. It has no limitations or liabilities.
- If you have s developers’ team or enough money to hire a developer, this platform provides the best-suited match for your online website and business.
However, let us look at what ticks you off:
- You may be even a beginner in coding and would love to work with Magento. But since you may have no strength in coding, it can become a hassle for you.
- For all non-coders, it used programming jargon and that can become cumbersome for your business.
- Unless you can afford developers, this platform is not a state-of-the-art, off-the-shelf solution.
- You need to find an effective hosting domain to install it. Not many in the digital market provide such support.
Easy To Use
There is no comparison between Shopify and Magento when it comes to ease of use. That is indeed a fact you cannot ignore. You can easily customize your store with Shopify’s drag-and-drop website builder by moving elements around the page exactly as you like. It is also suited for small businesses.
The learning book for Magento is somewhat too detailed than that for Shopify. It is well suited for big businesses with highly featured online catalogs. You will pay for the domain name, hosting, processes, and above all, code for it. Even though the open-source version is free of cost, you may still have a lot of costs to pay to get there what you desire.
Shopify will offer you a trial period of 2 weeks and then charge a subscription fee. Since it is a ready-made, plug-and-play solution, you will not have to pay anything for a domain name or any support whatsoever. It is not expensive but has limitations then.